These easy Tuna Burgers are a delicious blend of fresh tuna, aromatic spices, and zesty flavors in this quick and easy dish. Let’s dive into the delightful world of these irresistible burgers that will leave you craving more.
Why You Will Love These Tuna Patties
- Budget Friendly: As of today, this recipe costs only $10 for eight servings. That’s $1.25 each!
- Delicious and Filling: This dish is loaded with flavor and keeps you full!
- Prep Ahead: You can prep the the tuna patties ahead of time and keep them in the fridge or freeze them!
This quick dinner idea is a staple for nights when I don’t have time to think of cooking or when groceries are running a little low. They come together in minutes and have a few different serving options, which guarantee that you’ll find a way to serve these to even your pickiest eater.
We like to serve them in place of a traditional burger. Slather in a spicy may and top with your favorite burger toppings for a quick lunch or dinner that will leave your belly full and satisfied.
Tuna Burger Ingredients
The ingredient list for this recipe is short and uses mainly items you already have in your kitchen! Which means you can have this whipped up in no time!
- Tuna: I like to use canned tuna that is packed with water. It’s a personal preference, so pick your favorite brand and roll with it.
- Lemon juice: I like the freshness that is added when you include a little citrus. Lemon juice takes these patties form good to great. Fresh is best but bottled juice will work well too.
- Eggs: Egg works as a binder to the patties, holding everything together as it cooks.
- Parmesan: I prefer to use fresh grated parmesan, but you can use canned parm in a pinch.
- Bread crumbs: Specifically, Italian style bread crumbs. It saves the extra step of adding seasoning. IF you already have plain, or panko, crumbs on hand you can simply add a few teaspoons of your favorite seasonings.
- Onion: I like the added crunch you get by finely dicing a fresh onion. However, you can also use onion powder in a pinch.
- Oil: Enough to fry your burgers. I use avocado oil or vegetable oil for ease and because it doesn’t have any added flavor.
How To Make Tuna Burgers
- PREP: Combine the tuna, lemon juice, eggs, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and onion in a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir gently until the ingredients are combined.
- SHAPE: Divide the mixture into eight half cup measurements. Shape into patties.
- COOK: Add the oil to a medium sized skillet and heat over medium/low heat. Add the patties and cook for five minutes per side.
- ENJOY: Serve with your favorite toppings. We love spicy mayo!
- Mixing Bowls: I really love this set of bowls (affiliate). They stack together nicely for easy storage and each bowl comes with its own secure fitting lid.
- Skillet: A good non-stick skillet doesn’t have to be expensive! This one (affiliate) is only $23 with over 28,000 reviews!
- Silicone Spatulas: If I can only recommend one kitchen tool, it would be a set of silicone spatulas (affiliate). These are so versatile and used daily in our kitchen. Great for baking AND cooking.
Yes, you can absolutely grill tuna burgers. Grilling tuna burgers adds a wonderful charred flavor to the patties and can be a great alternative to stovetop cooking or baking. Just make sure to handle the patties with care on the grill to prevent them from falling apart, as tuna is more delicate than some other meats.
There are numerous tasty toppings that can complement the flavors of tuna burgers. Here are some popular options: fresh vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, or pickles), avocado, cheese, spicy mayo, or even coleslaw.
Overall, when prepared and consumed in a health-conscious manner, tuna burgers can be a nutritious and flavorful option as part of a balanced diet. It’s important to note that the overall healthiness of a tuna burger can also depend on how it is prepared and the ingredients used.
Yes, you can definitely prepare tuna patties ahead of time. Prepping them in advance can save you time and make meal preparation more convenient.
1. Prepare the mixture according to the instructions of the recipe. Shape the patties.
2. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours then cook as directed.
3. Freeze for up to three months. When ready to cook, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cook according to the recipe instructions.
Yes, you can bake tuna burgers instead of pan-frying them. Baking is a healthier cooking method that requires less oil compared to pan-frying.
Once the patties are shaped, bake the patties at 400°F for 12-15 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Be sure to adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of your patties and keep an eye on them to prevent overcooking.
Easy Tuna Burgers
- 3 (5 oz) cans of tuna drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil I like avocado oil
- Combine the tuna, lemon juice, eggs, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and onion in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Stir gently until the ingredients are combined.
- Divide the mixture into eight half cup measurements. Shape into patties.
- Add the oil to a medium sized skillet and heat over medium/low heat. Add the patties and cook for five minutes per side.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. We love spicy mayo!
- Once the patties are shaped, bake the patties at 400°F for 12-15 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Be sure to adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of your patties and keep an eye on them to prevent overcooking.