These Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites are a must-try! Made using only one base ingredient with ZERO rise time! Perfect for beginners and a warm buttery pretzel flavor everyone will love. Top with salt, cinnamon sugar, or alongside your favorite dips!
- Easy Bread Recipe: This recipe seriously could not be any easier. It took me less than five minutes to have them in the oven!
- ONE Ingredient: Technically you’ll have a few more ingredients thanks to the toppings, but the dough is made using store bought pizza dough!
- Easy to Customize: These can be made as a sweet or savory snack! Top with salt or a cinnamon sugar mixture for a quick treat everyone will fall in love with.
I am a sucker for good soft pretzels. We make homemade versions frequently, but the process can be tedious. Imagine how delighted I was when my neighbor told me you can actually make pretzels using pizza dough!! This recipe is a complete game changer.
Most grocers carry premade dough in the refrigerator section and it takes less than five minutes to get these in the oven. The end result is a soft, chewy, pretzel that tastes EXACTLY like the ones from Pretzelmaker. I can’t get enough of these easy pretzel bites!
Pizza Dough Pretzels
It may surprise you to know that these soft pretzel bites are actually made with pizza dough and NOT a homemade dough. I really like to keep things simple and these hit the mark. Super easy to make with a chewy pretzel that is near irresistible! Here is what you will need:
- Pizza Dough: Do not use the canned pizza dough. You’ll need a ready to bake dough like this one. You can sometimes find these in the freezer section as well!
- Baking Soda: Boiling the dough in a baking soda bath helps ot puff the bites. It creates a chewy interior and a crispy perfect crust.
- Butter: After baking, and before adding any toppings, you’ll brush a little melted butter onto each pretzel.
- Toppings: Personally, I love a sprinkle of salt. That being said, my husband loves a toss of grated parmesan and my son opts for cinnamon and sugar!
How To Make Soft Pretzel Bites With Pizza Dough
- PREP: Remove the pizza dough from its packaging and press to a 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. I used my hands but you could also use a rolling pin.
- CUT: Cut the dough using a sharp knife, or a pizza cutter, into 1-2″ pieces. Set aside while you prepare the baking soda bath.
- BOIL: Add 9 cups of water to a large pot. Stir in 1/2 cup of baking soda. Bring to a boil. Carefully drop the dough pieces into the water and cook for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- BAKE: Cook the pretzel bites for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- TOPPINGS: Brush the warm bread with melted butter and sprinkle with salt.
- Baking Trays: I am a big fan of my Nordic Ware pans (affiliate). I have both the half sheet and full pan sizes and they are amazingly easy to clean.
- Silicone Baking Mats: Parchment paper is king in my kitchen, but only when both of my silicone baking mats (affiliate) are dirty. They are SO great for so many things and worth the $13 for a set of 3.
- Slotted Spoon: You want to drip as much excess off of the dough after boiling as possible. A slotted spoon (affiliate) comes in extra handy.
This recipe for pretzel bites is best eaten within 3 to 4 days.
The best way to store this recipe is in an airtight container at room temperature. You can also freeze these to extend their life for up to 1 month. To reheat, place thawed bites in an oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
There are so many options when looking for a dipping sauce! Try cheese dip, marinara, mustard, or even artichoke dip!
Personally, I love a sprinkle of salt. That being said, my husband loves a toss of grated parmesan and my son opts for cinnamon and sugar!
The best way we’ve found to keep pretzels warm is to set the oven temperature to the lowest setting. Put the pretzels on a tray on the middle rack. Keep a small dish of water on the lower rack to help them from drying out.
Easy Pretzel Bites
- 1 (16 oz) ready to bake pizza dough
- 9 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon pretzel salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- Remove the pizza dough from its packaging and press to a 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the dough using a sharp knife, or a pizza cutter, into 1-2″ pieces. Set aside while you prepare the baking soda bath.
- Add 9 cups of water to a large pot. Stir in 1/2 cup of baking soda. Bring to a boil.
- Carefully drop the dough pieces into the water and cook for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon, making sure to get off as much excess water as possible, and transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cook the pretzel bites for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Brush the warm bread with melted butter and sprinkle with salt.