This Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake could not be easier to make! Light and fluffy with just eight simple ingredients. Every bite is filled with buttery cinnamon and sugar flavor making it the perfect treat to satisfy your sweet cravings.
Be sure to try some of my other cinnamon and sugar recipes like my Snickerdoodle Blondies and Snickerdoodle Latte!
- Five Minute Dessert: This recipe, from start to finish, takes less than five minutes to whip up!
- Single Serve Treat: Cake for one? Yes, please! This is the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth without making an entire cake.
- Family Favorite: We’ve made many mug cakes, but this one is by far our favorite!
This cake is INSANELY good. Cinnamon swirled through a buttery vanilla cake, topped with the most perfect glaze, and all made in minutes in the microwave! Easily one of our go-to quick sweet fixes, and for good reason. The texture of this cake is so light and fluffy, just like a cake baked in the oven. There’s also the added bonus of a swirl of cinnamon and brown sugar that melts in your mouth with every bite. SO. DANG. GOOD.
While this isn’t quite like a rise cinnamon roll with yeast, it’s even better and the perfect way to get your fix. In just minutes, with items you most likely already have in your pantry, you can have this cake ready to enjoy. If you have a sweet tooth, and love cinnamon, this recipe is for you.
- Flour: All-purpose or self-rising flour will work best. If you opt for the later be sure to adjust the baking powder as needed.
- Sugar: Just a touch to give your cake that added sweet finish as well as a hefty dose of brown sugar for that classic cinnamon sugar swirl.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon is an inexpensive way to add flavor to any dessert! This spice is used inside the cake as well as the topping.
- Baking Powder: Be sure to double check the expiration date. Leavening agents tend to sit in the pantry far too long and start to go bad. Pick up a fresh box if you aren’t sure how long you have had it open.
- Milk: Stick with 2% milk or higher. Low fat milk won’t give you quite the same texture.
- Butter: Ok, so technically you can substitute this for oil or applesauce. Will it work? Yes. Should you do it? In my opinion, no. Butter is key with cakes and gives you that perfectly fluffy and moist texture we’re looking for.
- Vanilla extract: Always opt for pure vanilla and not it’s imitation cousin. Imitation vanilla will leave a chemicals aftertaste.
Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake Recipe
- PREP: Mist the inside of your mug with baking spray to help keep the cake from sticking to the sides.
- DRY INGREDIENTS: Add the flour, sugar, and baking powder and cinnamon to the mug. Gently whisk with a fork until combined, roughly 10 seconds.
- MIX: Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Stir with the fork to fully incorporate, making sure to get the bottom of the cup.
- SPRINKLE: Mix 1 tablespoon of brown sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle directly on top of the batter. Use the tip of a sharp knife to gently swirl into the cake, not mixing fully.
- COOK: Microwave 45 seconds to 2 minutes, or until the cake has cooked fully.
- Mug: This recipe doesn’t need anything fancy, you can actually use almost any mug. But I really love this mug set (affiliate).
- Mini Whisk: Mixing the batter fully is key to a good cake. I love these mini whisks (affiliate). I also use them for hot chocolate, carnation, and even whipping eggs for scrambles.
- Baking Spray: You can use cooking spray, like avocado or Pam, but we prefer a baking spray (affiliate). They leave little to no flavor and let the cake flavor shine.
Helpful Recipe Tips
I get this question a lot and thought it might be a good one to answer! Mug cakes are individual serving sized cakes that are made entirely inside of a mug! In this case, it is cooked in the microwave making it a super speedy treat idea.
This mug cake should not be chewy. After cooking you should have a light cake that is just slightly denser than the real thing. IF your cake is chewy the result is most likely due to overcooking.
Each microwave will be different due to the different wattages. They range from 600 to 1200 which means your microwave could take a little longer or cook quicker. My microwave is 950 watts and it takes me 45 seconds to 1 minute to cook this cake.
This recipe will not require a large mug, however if you decide to double the recipe keep a close eye as it will rise over the top of your glass.
Swap the sprinkles for chocolate chips for a fun twist.
Serve topped with fresh berries and whipped cream (my favorite) for a quick treat.
This recipe is not oven safe. Please do not try to bake this recipe.
If your cake does not rise, be sure to check the expiration date of the baking powder and make sure it hasn’t passed.
Lower the amount of sugar from two tablespoons to one for a less sweet cake.
Substitute nut milk or soy milk for a dairy free mug cake.
You can also substitute the butter for a flavorless oil like coconut or avocado or applesauce.
For larger mugs, or for sharing, you can easily double this recipe.
More Must Try Mug Cake Recipes
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Easy Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mist the inside of your mug with baking spray to help keep the cake from sticking to the sides.
- Add the flour, sugar, and baking powder and cinnamon to the mug. Gently whisk with a fork until combined, roughly 10 seconds.
- Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Stir with the fork to fully incorporate, making sure to get the bottom of the cup.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of brown sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle directly on top of the batter. Use the tip of a sharp knife to gently swirl into the cake, not mixing fully.
- Microwave 45 seconds to 2 minutes, or until the cake has cooked fully.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Comments & Reviews
Little old lady says
bummer! whatever happened to the quantities?
Hello, the quantities are listed in the recipe card just above the comments.