This post was updated on by
This easy slow cooker taco soup takes under ten minutes to prep! A quick and easy weeknight dinner idea the entire family will love! And only 8 ingredients!
I am allllll about super simple dinner recipes. And this soup could not get any easier. I would consider this a dump and go recipe. You dump all of the ingredients right into your slow cooker, set the timer, and let things cook to perfection.
That makes it ideal to serve as a weeknight dinner! Get this going before you head to work and you will have an insanely delicious dinner ready to go when you get home!
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
Crock Pot Taco Soup Ingredients:
- Chicken Breast- While I decided to use chicken breasts in this easy dinner recipe, you could easily substitute for whatever is on sale!
- Garlic- Did you know you can purchase pre minced garlic?? You can find it in the produce section of most grocery stores or at Costco.
- Chicken Broth- I love to use Better Than Bouillon, but canned chicken broth works great too!
- Rotel- no Rotel? No problem! Substitute with equal amounts salsa.
- Corn- Frozen corn is my go-to for this recipe. If you decided to use canned, be sure to drain before adding to your recipe.
- Black Beans- This recipe works well with any canned bean variety!
- Onion- Adding onion goes a long way with increasing flavor. I like to use yellow onions in this soup recipe.
- Taco Seasoning- You can find taco seasoning in the seasoning and spice section of most grocery stores.
Taco Soup Toppings:
The best part about this recipe is that you can get really creative with the toppings! Here are a few of our favorite go-to’s when serving this slow cooker soup for dinner.
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Green onion
- Salsa or hot sauce
How to make Taco Soup in a slow cooker:
- Place the chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the garlic, chicken broth, Rotel, corn, black beans, and onion.
- Sprinkle with taco seasoning.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- One hour before you are ready to eat, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Shred and stir back in.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings!
Tips for this recipe:
- Use a slow cooker liner, or mist with cooking spray, to help make clean up a breeze.
- Want to add spice or a little more flavor? Swap the Rotel for salsa.
- The beans in this recipe can be replaced with your favorite variety. Try out pinto beans for a different flavor. Or use both!
- Get creative with your toppings. We create a dinner “bar” where everyone can build their own soup version.
More slow cooker recipes:
More taco recipes:
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken breast, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 (14oz) can chicken broth
- 1 can rotel or 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup corn (we used frozen)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Tortilla chips or strips
1. Place the chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the garlic, chicken broth, Rotel, corn, black beans, and onion.
2. Sprinkle with taco seasoning.
3. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
4. One hour before you are ready to eat, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Shred and stir back in.
5. Serve with your favorite taco toppings!
Ready for some exciting news? This post is part of my Holiday Series where I’ve teamed up with some of my favorite foodie friends to bring you more options for Homemade Soup Day! Check out this delicious round up and pick your favorites to warm your bellies this week!
Thai Chicken Curry Coconut Soup // Eazy Peazy Mealz
Copycat Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli // Tried and Tasty
Creamy Chicken and Corn Chowder // Dessert Now Dinner Later
Copycat Johnny Carino’s Italian Chili // Cupcake Diaries
Smothered Chicken Burrito Soup // A Dash of Sanity
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup // Like Mother Like Daughter
Slow Cooker Homemade Minestrone Soup // Life Made Sweeter
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup // The Love Nerds
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup // One Sweet Appetite
New England Corn Chowder with Bacon // Sugar & Soul
Italian Sausage Pizza Soup // Lemon Tree Dwelling