These Taco Stuffed Peppers are a fun twist on the classic dinner recipe. Ready in 30-minutes, which makes this a go-to recipe for busy weeknights. Filled with perfectly seasoned ground beef, black beans, and enchilada sauce.
- Easy Weeknight Dinner: This recipe comes together quickly and is ready for the table in 30-minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights.
- Make-Ahead: You can prep most of the recipe ahead, keeping them stored up to 1 day in the refrigerator before baking.
- Freezer Friendly: These Mexican stuffed peppers will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
You know when you create a recipe and get SUPER excited to share it? This easy taco stuffed peppers recipe is one of those for me. We are big Taco Tuesday fans and are constantly coming up with creative flavor combos. It seems so simple to use a pepper base filled with beef and cheese goodness, am I right?
This recipe is so so good. It also happens to be incredibly easy. With under 10 ingredients, and ready in around 30 minutes, this is an amazing weeknight dinner idea! Hollowed out peppers are stuffed with our favorite taco meat. From there we stack them high with shredded cheese and bake just until the peppers are soft. SO. GOOD.
STUFFED PEPPERS INGREDIENTS
While I used a variety of colors for our bell peppers, you really can just stick with one if you would prefer. It really does not add or take away from the flavors at all. Slicing the peppers in half, instead of slicing the top, and scooping out the insides helps cut down the cooking time and also give these an extra appealing visual appearance.
If you decide to go the route of slicing the top off and scooping the seeds, I would maybe add ten minutes to the cooking time. You want the inside to be nice and warm before you serve them and the peppers nice and soft.
- Ground beef: You could also try substituting ground chicken or ground turkey.
- Onion: Yellow diced onion cooked into the meat adds flavor.
- Taco seasoning: Homemade taco seasoning or the packets work well.
- Black beans: This adds an extra touch of protein but is also an optional ingredient.
- Salsa: If you’re near a Trader Joes I highly recommend trying the Hatch Chile Salsa.
- Rice: White rice works perfectly as a filler for this recipe.
- Enchilada sauce: Grab your favorite brand from the store OR try making homemade.
- Bell peppers: Single colors or a variety. All will work great in this recipe.
- Additional toppings: Cheese, sour cream, corn… Any taco topping.
HOW TO MAKE TACO STUFFED PEPPERS
- Add the ground beef and onion to a large skillet. Cook until onions are soft and beef is cooked through.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, black beans, corn, and salsa. Bring to a simmer and cook 5-7 minutes or until some of the liquid is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rice and enchilada sauce. Stuff into each half of your cleaned peppers.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with cheese, guacamole or sour cream.
HOW TO FREEZE STUFFED PEPPERS
- Complete the recipe all the way through stuffing the peppers.
- Wrap each pepper tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place each wrapped pepper in a freezer safe zip top bag. Label and freeze.
- When ready to cook, preheat your oven.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
Frozen peppers will last in the freezer for 2 to 3 months, if stored properly. Keep them in an air tight container, or individually wrapped in plastic stored into a large freezer safe zip top bag.
RECIPE TIPS AND FAQS
Yes, and no. I don’t find the need to pre cook these stuffed peppers with rice. However, they will be slightly crunchy. So, if you like your peppers more soft you can cook them before adding the filling.
We find that not pre-cooking the peppers keeps them nice and soft, but still crisp. If you find that the filling is a little too watery, you can add a tablespoon of quick cooking oats to help soak up additional moisture.
This recipe can be made up to one day in advance. Follow the directions all the way through stuffing the peppers. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Add 10 minutes to the baking time.
MORE 30-MINUTE MEALS TO TRY
- Classic Stuffed Peppers
- Southwest Chicken Salad
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Taco Pizza Recipe
- Enchilada Chili
- Easy Chili Recipe
- The Best Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Lazy Pasta Bake
Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup enchilada sauce.
- 4 large peppers sliced in half length wise and washed
- cheese sour cream, guacamole
- 1. Add the ground beef and onion to a large skillet. Cook until onions are soft and beef is cooked through.
- 2. Stir in the taco seasoning, black beans, corn, and salsa. Bring to a simmer and cook 5-7 minutes or until some of the liquid is dissolved.
- 3. Remove from the heat and stir in the rice and enchilada sauce. Stuff into each half of your cleaned peppers.
- 4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with cheese, guacamole or sour cream.