Huevos RancherosJanuary 3, 2013
One of my New Year resolutions was to EAT MORE.
I know everyone is trying to diet, or drop the pounds, but we are attempting to expand our palates! We generally stick with the foods we know and love. So this year I want to bring new dishes to the table!
I decided to start with breakfast. Easy, right?
This huevos rancheros actually didn’t sound good to me at all… My husband saw it on The Best Thing I Ever Made a few weeks ago. The thought of a breakfast tostada with beans, eggs, and a tomato chili sauce just didn’t sound appealing in the slightest. He was quick to remind me that we did have a resolution to try new things…
So how could I say no?
I did a little bit of research, and we decided to go with a recipe from one of my favorite food network stars, Emeril Lagasse. He’s never let me down in the past. It’s very possible that I shouted BAM a few times as I was tossing in ingredients and spices. It’s catchy and makes the whole cooking experience so entertaining. Especially when my three year old runs in screaming, “What’s wrong?!?!”
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 C. chopped white onion
- 1/4 C. chopped red pepper
- 1/4 C. chopped green pepper
- 1/2 t. ground cumin
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 T. minced jalapeno
- 1/2 t. minced garlic
- 1/2 C. chopped tomatoes and their juice
- 1/2 C. chicken stock
- 1-1/2 T. chopped cilantro
- 2 t. vegetable oil
- 2 large corn tortillas
- 1/4 C. warm black refried beans
- 2 t. butter
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 C. pepper Jack
- [b][br]For the sauce:[/b]
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan. Add the onion and peppers. Stir until slightly softened, which is around 4 minutes. Mix in the cumin, salt, red pepper flakes, jalapeno, and garlic. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes and chicken stock. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until reduced. Remove from the heat, and stir in cilantro. Keep warm. [b][br]For the tortillas:[/b]
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small skillet. Cook the tortillas for 2 minutes on each side, or until crisp. Keep warm until ready for assembly. [b][br]For the eggs:[/b]
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Crack all four eggs into the pan, and cook until beginning to set. Sprinkle with cheese, cover, and cook for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, or until the eggs are finished cooking.[b][br]Assembly:[/b]
- Spread the warmed beans onto each tortilla. Top with your eggs, and smoother with the sauce. Serve immediately.
I was happily surprised with the success of this dish. All of the ingredients blend so well together. There is a slight kick from the jalapeno and red pepper that just sends your mouth on a treasure hunt! It was the perfect way to start out our new quest!
I’m linking up with: I Heart Naptime, Tip Junkie0