Hey everyone, it’s Lauren again from Tastes Better From Scratch and SO I’m excited to share these Boston Cream Pie Crepes with you! I’m a lover of simple recipes that easily impress, and crepes fall seamlessly into that category! Wether you serve them for breakfast or for dessert, they’re fancy and fun, but they’re super inexpensive to make and they’re SO incredibly easy–you probably have all of the basic ingredients already in your pantry!!
However, these aren’t your typical run-of-the-mill crepes! These are Boston Cream Pie Crepes! The homemade custard is what puts them over the top! I’m always in trouble when I make it because I usually eat half of it with a spoon, straight from the saucepan. I tell myself I’m just testing to make sure it’s done….and sometimes it takes 100 taste-tests to really make sure :-). Once the custard is done I spoon what’s left of it into my sweet crepe and drizzle a dark chocolate sauce on top–It’s HEAVEN I tell you!
Crepes are also really fun to serve at parties or get togethers! I’ve made them for a wedding shower and they were a huge hit! Just make the Breakfast Crepes an hour or so before the party, and serve them stacked high on a plate. Then everyone can grab one and spoon their own fillings and toppings into the crepe themselves.
To make these Boston Cream Pie Crepes you will need to whip up a batch of traditional Breakfast Crepes (click here for the recipe). Then you’ll fill them with a delicious homemade pastry cream, and drizzle a warm chocolate sauce on top! YUM! If you’re feeling really wild you can sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top too, like I did!
- 10-12 prepared breakfast crepes (find the recipe link above)
- For the Pastry Cream Filling:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- For the Chocolate Sauce:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp milk
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and whisk gently with a fork. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk. Cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken--about 5 minutes. Pour a spoonful of the sugar mixture into the whisked egg yolks and stir to combine. Repeat with a few more spoonfuls of sugar added into the egg yolks to temper the eggs. Then pour the entire egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and transfer to a medium size bowl. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Place heavy whipping cream in a bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cooled custard mixture.
- For the chocolate sauce:
- Heat chocolate chips, butter, and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat just until melted.
- Place a spoonful of the custard filling down the center of a prepared crepe. Drizzle with warm chocolate sauce. Repeat with remaining crepes and filling. Enjoy!
Check out some other yummy recipe on my blog, Tastes Better From Scratch!