This post was updated on by
Easy Tin Foil Dinner Recipe. These easy tin foil dinners are a must-make for any camping trip! Also known as Hobo Dinners, they are hearty and filling. The perfect camping recipe.
Easy Tin Foil Dinner Recipe
Creating the perfect camping menu can be a bit of a challenge. Luckily, this easy recipe is an all around winner.
It tastes amazing, is easily adaptable, and clean up is a breeze. All very important things to consider when planning for your camping adventure.
A few of the most common questions I am asked:
What do you put in tin foil dinners?
Great question! Really, what CAN’T you put into a tin foil dinner? We have tried a wide variety of vegetables, rice, frozen french fries… Just be sure to check your tin foil dinner while it is cooking regularly and ensuring even cooking.
How do you make tin foil dinners in the oven?
Yes. We do not limit tin foil dinners to camping. We have made them in the oven, on the grill, and in hot coals. Do not limit yourself to just one way of cooking!
Tips for creating perfect tin foil dinners:
- Use heavy duty foil. The last thing you want to happen when you are handling a tin foil dinner is to have the foil give out or rip. Heavy duty foil ensures that your dinner will stay safe and sound during the cooking process.
- Know how to fold a tin foil packet. You want to fold your packet in a way that allows the cooking to be even. Follow this super simple tutorial. As a result, you will have perfect recipes every time!
- Prep before you leave. Chop your veggies, slice the chicken, or even put the packets together before you head out. This makes for a more enjoyable camping experience. Less stress while you cook means more time to enjoy your vacation!
- Don’t skip the non-stick spray!
More Tin Foil Dinner Ideas:
- Hawaiian Chicken Stack Tin Foil Dinner
- Tin Foil Chicken Fajitas
- Spicy Coconut Shrimp Foil Pack
- Southwestern Chicken Tin Foil Dinner
- 1-1/2 lbs hamburger meat, divided into 6 patties
- 1 (1oz) onion soup packet
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1-2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- heavy duty foil
For the hamburger patties
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Gently mix until combined. Divide meat into six equal portions. Form patties.
- Create 6 large rectangles of heavy duty foil. Mist with cooking spray.
- Spoon 1/3 cup mushroom soup onto each rectangle.
- Divide potatoes between packets along with the carrots. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with a hamburger patty and onion slices. Add additional mushroom soup if desired.
- Seal each packet securely.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cook your foil dinners for 35 minutes or until the meat reaches a temperature of 160 degrees.
- Campfire Cooking:
- Cook over hot campfire coals for 45-50 minutes or until the meat reaches a temperature of 160 degrees and the vegetables are soft.
- Be sure to check periodically and turn and rotate until done.