This post was updated on by
This easy Vegetable Lo Mein comes together in 20 minutes making it a go-to weeknight dinner! Loaded with veggies and kid approved makes this a family favorite recipe!
This recipe is one of the very first I ever made for this site.
I cannot even tell you where the inspiration came from, but boy-oh-boy am I so glad I made this. It is DELICIOUS.
This super simple weeknight meal is loaded with flavor, packed with veggies, and kid approved! Frequently made in our home as-is or with cooked chicken!
Easy Vegetable Lo Mein Dinner
I chose a simple veggie slaw with a broccoli base for ease and simplicity, but the beauty of this dish is that you really can use any vegetable combination. Try mixing things up with some peppers, onions, mushrooms… Anything your little heart desires is a welcome addition or substitution.
Ingredients in vegetable lo mein:
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Sesame oil
- Chinese five spice powder
- Chili sauce
- Veggies of choice
- Green onion
- Chinese egg noodles
A quick tip for when you have got a hungry bunch at home ready to eat… I recommend using one of those pre-cut/shredded veggie bags you can find at the store. This shortcut can save you time and tastes just as delicious!
What kind of noodles are used in lo mein?
Lo mein is made using a Chinese egg noodle. These Asian noodles have a little more chew and come in fresh or dried varieties. Look for them at your local grocer near the soy sauce.
What kind of sauce is used in lo mein?
Typically, you will see lo mein tossed with a sesame oil based sauce. My recipe uses this same concept with added ginger, garlic, and spicy chili sauce. We mainly serve this as a quick side dish (it comes together in under ten minutes!) but if you want to create a full meal just toss in some cooked chicken, pork, steak, or even tofu!
How to make easy vegetable lo mein:
Combine the soy sauce, wine vinegar, brown sugar, sesame oil, five spice powder, ginger, garlic, sriracha, and cornstarch in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to just a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Set a large skillet over medium heat with the oil. Toss in the broccoli slaw (or veggies of choice) and saute until the veggies are tender. Combine the noodles, sauce, and green onion. Toss to coat and serve.
Serve with chopsticks for a fun family experience and watch your kiddos slurp down veggies quicker than you’ve ever seen before.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablesppon rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoonground ginger or 1 teaspoon fresh grated
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce
- 2 t.easspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 3 cups broccoli slaw or diced veggies of choice
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 6 oz Chinese egg noodles, cooked
- Combine the soy sauce, wine vinegar, brown sugar, sesame oil, five spice powder, ginger, garlic, sriracha, and cornstarch in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to just a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat with the oil. Toss in the broccoli slaw (or veggies of choice) and saute until the veggies are tender. Combine the noodles, sauce, and green onion. Toss to coat and serve.