These Lasagna Stuffed Shells are filled with cheese and sausage then smothered in your favorite pasta sauce! Quick to make and freezer friendly!
I originally found this recipe while searching the web for a quick pasta meal that would be both filling and delicious. I stumbled onto a delicious version over on Living Like The Kings. Kat’s version looked absolutely divine. I adjusted the ingredient list slightly to match my families taste (and to help use what I already had in the fridge) and thus this sausage pasta bite of goodness was born! I decided to use an Italian style sausage with our favorite Veggie Packed Pasta Sauce and couldn’t have been more thrilled with the results!
Here’s a little tip from my kitchen… Use fresh mozzarella. Pre-shredded cheeses don’t tend to melt quite as well and with the fresh version you get that ooey gooey melted cheese that you always see in restaurants. Seriously delish! You can also try substituting Italian sausage for a breakfast or spicy variety to change up the flavor profile or leave the meat out all together.
These also freeze VERY well. We make a double batch and put half into those little tin pans. Cover tightly with heavy duty foil, label, and pull it out when you’ve got nothing on the menu and the family is begging for something delicious. We also use this same idea to take meals to friends and family when they need a little extra something (think new babies, surgeries, birthdays…).
Baked pasta is one of my new go-to’s thanks to this dish! I like to serve it with a light salad (think Olive Garden style) and a little bread! Try slicing a store bought french loaf, slicing it thick, brush on a little butter, and sprinkle with some chopped green onions. Wrap that sucker in tin foil and toss in the oven for 15 minutes or until it’s nice and toasty.
Items used in this recipe:
- 20 jumbo shells
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 lb. sausage
- Bring a large bottle of water to a boil. Add your pasta and cook according to the package directions. Drain the noodles and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spread 1/2 cup of your tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x9 dish.
- Add the uncooked sausage to a hot pan and cook until browned. Stir in 1 cup of your tomato sauce and set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the ricotta, 1/2 a cup of mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, and spinach. Stir the mixture in with your sausage.
- Spoon a hearty amount of the filling into each shell. Place into your prepared baking dish and continue until all are filled. Smoother with the remaining 1/2 cup of sauce and generously sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for an additional ten minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
PS, you might like…
This post may contain affiliate links. I include these links to help you find specific products that are used in my recipes. If you purchase an item from the link on One Sweet Appetite, I will receive a small commission helping keep my recipes free for you.
One Sweet Appetite is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com111