Any Man vs. Food fans out there? I saw an episode once about a sandwich shop filled with grilled cheese sandwich’s. Like, amazingly outrageous and awesome sandwiches! Each one piled with different toppings that looked so delicious. I wanted to reach right through the TV and help myself to one of those tasty concoctions!
Imagine my surprise when my hubby told me that they actually have a Tom + Chee’s in Louisville, and HE was going to take us there when we visited!! Do I have the best husband of all time or what?!? The day after we flew in we hurried over and got a few of their crazy creations to test out! Of course on of the first things we had to try was the Grilled Cheese Donut. Who WOULDN’T want to find out what the hype was about?!
Grilled Cheese Donut
- Cheese (cheddar, gruyere, or whatever type you want to use)
- Place a skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- Use a bread knife to cut your donut in half, creating two slices. Flip them inside out and lay them sliced side up on a plate.
- Spread both pieces with softened butter.
- Time to build your sandwich. Place one slice of donut, butter side down, on your hot pan. Layer cheese and the remaining donut piece.
- Cook one minute on each side, or until browned and cheese is melted.
This was different for sure. At first I thought I hated it. But my husband talked me into trying just one more bite. I couldn’t help but eat the entire thing. It was so weird that it was almost good. Something about the saltiness of the cheese mixed with the sweet donut pairs well. In an off way.
Worth making again? Probably. It’s one of those things you find yourself craving at one in the morning when you need something to satisfy that sweet tooth. It’s so simple to whip up and tastes amazing with a nice sharp cheddar or gruyere!
Chances are good you’ll be seeing a few more sandwich recreations on the site. Their menu was so big, and we only visited twice. Which means there are about a million other things on the menu I didn’t get to try and want to! If you want to see some more donut inspired dishes… check out my friend Kaylynn’s blog Among the Young! She did an entire week of Krispy Kreme recipes!
What are your favorite odd food combinations?2