Start your morning with a hearty and filling meal! This camping breakfast sandwich is ridiculously easy and can be made before you leave!
Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwich
Breakfast sandwiches are high on our favorite breakfast recipe. Truth is my seven year old has voted (on more than one occasion) that my husband knocks the easy recipe out of the park, while mine are slightly less appealing.
I have to agree.
I don’t know what it is that he does differently but they always taste just a little bit better. Maybe it is because I am not the one doing the cooking? Either way, this super simple meal wins as our #1 favorite camping breakfast recipe!
What is a good breakfast for camping?
We always like to start our day with something hearty and filling. You tend to be more active while camping so it tends to reason that a good filling meal will fuel your day! Here are a few of our favorite camping breakfast recipes:
Meal prep tips to follow before you leave on a camping trip:
While we love to fill our belly with tasty food, I don’t plan on spending all of my time cooking. Some of the best tips I have learned to help make our camping trip easy and worry free are:
- Chop, slice, and dice all of your ingredients in advance. This is incredibly handy with this recipe.
- Cook anything you can before you leave. Make ahead meals are fantastic. Take full advantage of them!
- Tin foil is your best friend. Not only can you cook most of your meals in it, but it serves as a plate and makes clean up a breeze!
How do you freeze breakfast sandwiches?
This is one of my favorite tips, and something I tell everyone to do! Make these ahead camping meals are a GAME CHANGER!
There are two ways you can freeze these sandwiches.
If you plan on eating these while camping:
- You will want to make and assemble the sandwiches.
- Wrap each sandwich individually in heavy duty foil.
- When you are ready to eat just heat them through on a grill or coals, making sure to turn frequently.
If you plan to eat them at home:
- Make and assemble your sandwiches.
- Wrap each individually in plastic wrap and place in a labeled zip top bag.
- When you are ready to eat remove the plastic wrap, wrap in a damp paper towel, and microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices cheese, flavor of your choice
- 8 slices Canadian bacon or meat of choice, like bacon, ham, or sausage cooked
- 4 croissants, or bread of choice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- portable grill or over the fire grill
To make at the campsite:
- slice your croissants in half and spread with butter. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs onto a preheated cooking surface. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes and flip.
- Place one slice of cheese on each egg and allow to melt while it finishes cooking on the second side.
- Place your chosen meat onto the grill to heat. Place the sliced croissants cut side down to toast.
- Build your sandwich and serve.
Make ahead :
- Follow the instructions above, cooking on a stove top.
- Place assembled sandwiches onto a square of foil. Wrap tightly and freeze.
- At the campsite: Heat the sandwiches until warm throughout on hot coals or a grill. Serve immediately.
- Ziplock Bags : Ziplock Bags (affiliate) will help your food not get freezer burn when placing them into the freezer.
- Plastic Wrap : Plastic Wrap (affiliate) is very easy to use when taking your sandwich out and unwrapping to microwave. “Plastic Wrap is only used for when at home and should be taken off before microwaving, not while camping”
- Heavy Duty Foil : The best camping hack is to bring Heavy Duty Foil (affiliate)! You wont just use it for wrapping up your food when meal prepping but it will be a great asset when cooking meals over the fire!