These are the BEST Chocolate Cupcakes and they start with a cake mix! You won’t believe how soft and rich in chocolate flavor these cakes are. You will have everyone begging for the recipe!
- Cake Mix Hack: I love a homemade chocolate cupcake, but sometimes a cake mix is easier.
- Customizable: I’ve included a few different ways you can jazz up the cake mix, including several topping ideas!
- Freezer Friendly: You can bake and freeze the cupcakes, unfrosted, for up to three months!
I love this cupcake recipe. It’s so simple and produces the most decadent and rich chocolate cake. People never believe me when I tell them that all of the magic actually starts with a cake mix!
That’s right, this cupcake falls right in line with my cake mix hack recipes. The base starts with a mix, and thanks to some secret add-ins, turns into a bakery worthy cupcake that is loaded with chocolate flavor. I absolutely love the texture of this super light and moist cake. You cannot beat this cupcake recipe. It’s the best and so super easy to customize with fillings and toppings!
Doctored Cake Mix Cupcakes
With just a handful of ingredients you’ll have a show stopping cupcake that is truly one of the greats. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had chocolate lovers declare their love for me after I served them this recipe. It’s that good!
- Devil’s’ Food Cake Mix: I like to use Devils food for this one, but any chocolate cake will do. Pick your favorite brand. I like Duncan Hines.
- Cocoa Powder: Optional, but an added sprinkle of cocoa powder really takes this cake over the top.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix: You’ll pour the powder right into the cake mix itself. Not need to prepare.
- Eggs: Large eggs at room temperature.
- Oil: Any low flavor oil like coconut, vegetable, or canola will work well in this cake.
- Water: Just a touch. However, if you really want to add depth to the flavor, replace this with brewed coffee.
- Sour Cream: This is another secret ingredient that really takes these from “box mix” to bakery worthy.
How To Make The Best Chocolate Cupcakes From A Cake Mix
- PREP: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2, 12 cup, muffin tins with paper liners and set aside to use later.
- MIX: Stir the dry cake mix with the dry pudding mix in a mixing bowl. Mix in the eggs, oil, water, and sour cream until fully combined and the batter comes together, roughly 2 minutes of mixing.
- BAKE: Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter, about 1/4 cup. Bake 12-15 minutes or until the tops are domed and spring back when touched or a toothpick comes out clean.
- COOL: Remove from the pans and transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- Cupcake Liners: I’m a big fan of neutral cupcake liner (affiliate) colors. I feel like the star of the show should be the cake itself, but you can find dozens of color options (affiliate).
- Scoop: I’m obsessed with my cookie scoop (affiliate). I use it for cookies BUT I also use it to evenly fill cupcake liners. This ensures perfect sized cupcakes every single time.
- Airtight Container: Extend the life of your cupcakes by keeping them stored in a large airtight container (affiliate).
These cupcakes will last up to 4 days if stored properly. You can extend the life of the cupcake by keeping them stored inside the refrigerator. However, this could potentially dry out the cake. Be sure to keep them covered.
The best way to keep your cupcakes fresh is to keep them stored in an airtight container. This ensures the cake stays moist and the frosting stays soft. I really love my cupcake container (affiliate). If you bake often, this is an amazing addition to the kitchen.
Of course! No one can resist a mini cupcake. To make these in a smaller pan, mix as directed and check the cupcakes at around the 10 minute mark.
I have found that one box mix will make 2 dozen, or 24, cupcakes.
Yes! Bake and cool the cupcakes completely. Freeze by placing in a single layer in a zip top bag or airtight container. Store the frosting separately.
Cake Mix Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 (15oz) box devils food cake
- 1 (5.9oz) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder optional
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips optional
- 1 cup chocolate ganache or frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2, 12 cup, muffin tins with paper liners and set aside to use later.
- Stir the dry cake mix with the dry pudding mix in a mixing bowl. Mix in the eggs, oil, water, and sour cream until fully combined and the batter comes together, roughly 2 minutes of mixing.
- Fold in the chocolate chips if using.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter, about 1/4 cup. Bake 12-15 minutes or until the tops are domed and spring back when touched or a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the pans and transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Once cooled, dip the tops of the cupcakes into chocolate ganache and add sprinkles.