There is one thing I like less than pie. Apples. Unless they are smothered in caramel… not interested. That is probably the main reason why this easy apple pie recipe first caught my eye. It’s loaded with caramel goodness and toffee. Two of my all time favorite treats!
My house smelled divine while this was in the oven. Like I stepped right into a bakery that was working on some Thanksgiving goodies. I could hardly wait to dig in and give it a try, but reframed from devouring my fair share until AFTER I took a few photos. You know… because this post wouldn’t be the same if I had destroyed the pie by skipping the plate and diving right in with a fork.
I’m a big fan of putting a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream onto a piece of this hot apple pie. The flavors melt together and it is life changing.
Make sure you put a cookie sheet on the self below your pie. There is a good chance some of the caramel will drip over the edge. Instead of making a goopy mess we pulled out the tray and my two boys (hubby and son) went to town on the caramel drippings.
This pie is my favorite so far. But I’m only three pies in. I’ll see if it holds up in the end! What is your favorite type of pie?
- 6 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup toffee bits
- Doubled batch of the Perfect Pie Crust recipe
- Split your pie crust into two equal parts. Roll out one half out into a 10-12 inch circle and place into your pie plate. Trim the edges. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Stir together your apples, lemon juice, heavy cream, vanilla, brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt four tablespoons of butter in a medium sauce pan. Add your apple mixture and cook for 10 minutes, or until your apples are softened. Pour into your prepared shell.
- While your apples are cooking, stir together 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of flour. Melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter and mix into your flour. Stir in the toffee bits and sprinkle evenly over your pie.
- Roll out your top crust and place over your pie. Cut slits for ventilation, brush with an egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake your pie for ten minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 40 minutes, or until golden.