This Microwave Mug Rice Krispie Treat is perfect when you’re craving something sweet and don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. In just a few minutes, you can whip up a delicious and gooey treat that is perfect for a solo dessert or later night snack!
Looking for even more cereal treat ideas? I’ve got you! Try my Smore’s Cereal Bars, Lucky Charm Bars, and Cookies and Cream Rice Krispie Treats!
Why You’ll Love This Mug Recipe
- Quick and Easy: From start to finish, this recipe takes less than one minute!
- Minimal Ingredients: You only need FOUR ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand.
- Easy to Customize: Love the classic version? Stick with rice puff cereal. Want to get a little crazy? Try it with other varieties like Cocoa Pebbles or Fruity cereals.
Nothing satisfies a sweet craving quite like a cereal treat. It’s sweet, a little salty, and even more irresistible when you realize you can make a single serve version in less than one minute.
This is my, and my teenagers, go-to when it comes to mug recipes. We dedicated ourselves to the task of perfecting the microwave cereal treat and made dozens upon dozens of different variations. After weeks of testing we found that THIS single serve rice kirspie treat is the very best. Approved by our pickiest eater and easy enough that even smaller kids can do it on their own!
Microwaveable Rice Krispie treat Ingredients
Keeping in line with all cereal marshmallow treats, this recipe has very few ingredients and still leaves you with big flavor! Here is what you need for this recipe:
- Butter: A small tab of butter helps in so many ways. It adds a subtle richness to the flavor, binds the mixture together, and helps keep the treat soft and chewy.
- Marshmallows: Marshmallows add the sweetness and structure to hold everything togehter.
- Vanilla: This ingredient is optional, but a dash of vanilla extract balances the sweetness and adds to the complexity of flavors.
- Cereal: I really love the traditional rice puff cereal. We tested several different brands, including the name brand, and all were equally delicious.
It is generally recommended to use unsalted butter in cereal treats, including Rice Krispie treats, to give you more control over the saltiness. However, I really enjoy using salted butter in this recipe OR adding a very small pinch of salt.
Yes! However, smaller varieties like Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles and Lucky Charms work the best for a mug version.
Both large and mini marshmallows can be used in cereal treat recipes. That being said, we find mini marshmallows to be the easiest with mug cakes.
Microwave Rice Krispie Treats In A Mug
- PREP: Gather your ingredients and find a large mug. The marshmallows will fluff up when heated so I recommend using a 15-20 oz mug.
- BUTTER: Add the butter to the bottom of the mug and heat for 10-15 seconds, or just until melted.
- MARSHMALLOWS: Stir the marshmallows in with the butter until coated. Heat an additional 15-20 seconds, or until the marshmallows are melted completely.
- CEREAL: Quickly stir in the vanilla extract followed by the cereal.
- ENJOY: Enjoy your treat with a spoon!
- Large Mug: Since the marshmallow does rise while heating, I strongly recommend using a larger mug like this one (affiliate).
- Silicone Spatulas: If I can only recommend one kitchen tool, it would be a set of silicone spatulas (affiliate). These are so versatile and used daily in our kitchen. Great for baking AND cooking
- Baking Spray: You can use cooking spray, like avocado or Pam, but we prefer a baking spray (affiliate). They leave little to no flavor and let the cake flavor shine.
Yes! We found that this recipe tastes almost exactly like the traditional Rice Krispie Treat. Microwave mug cereal treats are incredibly convenient and time-saving. They can be made in a matter of minutes, making them a great option for a quick treat when you’re craving something sweet.
Since the marshmallows do rise a bit in the microwave, I suggest using a large or oversized mug for this recipe.
Yes, but this is already sweet and delicious all on its own.
We love to make this with different cereal options like Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles and Lucky Charms.
The best way to store leftovers is covered and at room temperature. This should be eaten within one day for the freshest results.
More Must-Try Mug Recipes
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Quick and easy Rice Krispie treats in a mug
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rice cereal
- Add the butter to the bottom of a large mug and heat for 10-15 seconds, or just until melted.
- Stir the marshmallows in with the butter until coated. Heat an additional 15-20 seconds, or until the marshmallows are melted completely.
- Quickly stir in the vanilla extract followed by the cereal.
- Enjoy your treat with a spoon!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Leave a Review!