This post was updated on by
This easy strawberry banana smoothie recipe is creamy, sweet, and healthy. Perfect as a quick breakfast, lunch, or snack!
I am not a huge smoothie person, but lately I’ve leaned more that direction. They are so darn easy to make and the perfect way to use up over ripe produce.
THIS specific recipe is sort of perfect for adding in a little vitamin C to your diet. Did you know that strawberries actually have more vitamin C than an orange? Their carb total is low, for those counting, and they are rich in fiber. Making this an awesome fruit to toss into your daily smoothie recipe.
Bananas, when ripe, add a natural sweetness to the drink as well as a good dose of vitamin C and potassium.
So the two main ingredients are essentially loaded with all of the good stuff. Plus, it tastes super delicious.
Ingredients you need to make a homemade strawberry smoothie:
- Strawberries- This is the star of the show. Make sure your berries are somewhat ripe. If not, no worries. We will talk about ways to sweeten your drink.
- Banana- Slightly over ripe bananas add a wonderful sweetness to your drink which can eliminate the needed for added sugars later on. I suggest letting your bananas get fairly ripe before using.
- Milk- Coconut milk is our go-to, but we really love coconut. Almond milk is delicious or even regular dairy milk works well!
- Yogurt- Here is the thing with the yogurt… I really like plain Greek yogurt in my smoothies. My son prefers vanilla yogurt. We have also used a strawberry or peach yogurt in this recipe and it was delicious. Use what you have on hand.
- Honey- This ingredient is completely optional. If you fruit is not as ripe as desired, it’s good to add a bit of honey to sweeten things up.
Tips for this recipe:
- I did not use ice. It is a personal preference, I feel like ice dilutes the flavor. To replace that frozen icy texture I normally freeze my bananas and add them into the blender fully frozen.
- That leads into this tip. Freeze your bananas! This is ideal for bananas that are on the edge of their expiration date. Take your over ripe banana, slice, and freeze in a small freezer safe bag or container. When ready to use in a smoothie add to your blender straight from the freezer.
- No fresh berries? No problem! Frozen berries work well in this recipe. I do let mine slightly thaw before adding.
- Switch up the type of milk and yogurt you use. This recipe is fairly simple to make. Swapping the milk can add a brand new flavor. Same with the yogurt. If plain yogurt is too tart for your tastes you could easily substitute your favorite yogurt flavor.
How to make a healthy strawberry banana smoothie:
- Add all of your ingredients to a blender.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Taste and add honey or sweetener as needed.
- Divide between two cups.
It really is that easy. I suggest checking out the tips above for easy ways to adjust the recipe. You can definitely add ice to this smoothie. We do not care for ice in our smoothies but have added it on occasion to thicken things up or give it a good chill.
Tips to make a perfect smoothie at home:
- Load your ingredients in the following order: liquids, soft fruits, frozen fruits and ice. Keeping the liquid on the bottom helps your blender process things.
- Start on the low setting on your blender and work your way up.
- Smoothie too thick? Add a dash or two more of the liquid.
- Smoothie too thin? Add frozen fruit or ice.
- If your smoothie needs added sweetness try adding honey, agave, maple syrup, dates, Stevia, or sugar.
- Need a more filling smoothie? Try tossing in half of an avocado, chia seeds, flax seed, or ground nuts.
More Smoothie Recipes:
- Triple Berry Smoothie
- Kid Favorite: Strawberry Smoothie
- Coconut Pineapple Green Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
More Strawberry Recipes:
- 5 Minute Strawberry Dessert
- No Churn Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Easy Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast
1. Add all of your ingredients to a blender. 2. Pulse until smooth. 3. Taste and add honey or sweetener as needed. 4. Divide between two cups. 5. Enjoy.
1. Add all of your ingredients to a blender.
2. Pulse until smooth.
3. Taste and add honey or sweetener as needed.
4. Divide between two cups.