Who’s excited for Valentines day??? I normally am pretty neutral, since there are 364 other days in in the year that my hubby shows me he cares, but this year I’m getting sucked into the pretty reds, chocolate, and champagnes. Around New Years I decided that champagne cupcakes would be a fun (and boozy) way for me to show my love that I care. Or more that I care about myself since he is not into champagne! Eh. At least I tried, right?!
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup Champagne
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the egg whites until peaks form and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla followed by the dry ingredients and champagne. Fold in the egg whites.
- Divide the dough between your paper liners. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Now it’s time for the good stuff. These would have been great all on their own, but I decided to fill my cupcakes with a simple strawberry sauce. I added a bit of champagne, but it really wasn’t necessary. That sauce is delicious all on it’s own (try it on top of my cinnamon or chocolate waffles. You won’t be disappointed!).
In case you missed it, you can see a full tutorial on how to fill a cupcake in yesterday’s post! The strawberry filling really adds a punch of fruity flavor to the soft and spongy cake. Don’t skip this part. It also helps to break up the champagne flavor and adds a nice sweetness to the center.
And finally, I topped the cakes with a champagne buttercream! So easy to make it’ll make your head spin. Pipe it on and you are ready to PAR-TAY!
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons champagne
- Whisk the butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Slowly add the powdered sugar followed by the champagne. Whisk until fluffy.
I’m not kidding when I say they are champagne flavor packed. You can taste it from the cake to the frosting. Top them with a candied strawberry and you’ve got a very elegant, and slightly romantic, Valentines day treat!
cake recipe from 20 something cupcake frosting adapted from Food Network0