You can not go wrong with a classic green bean casserole recipe filled with canned or fresh green beans, mushroom soup, and topped with fried onions. Try this Thanksgiving recipe for your next gathering!
I truly feel that green bean casserole is the most underrated recipe of Thanksgiving. It combines my absolute favorite veggie with crispy onions. SO. GOOD. It also happens to be incredibly easy.
- Quick and Easy: This recipe is incredibly simple to make with minimal steps.
- 5 Ingredient Side Dish: Only 5 main ingredients, with the addition of pepper.
- 30-Minute Recipe: Start to finish, this recipe is ready in just 30 minutes.
What You’ll Need:
This recipe is based off of the classic Campbell’s recipe which uses a cream soup base and canned beans. Full instructions and ingredient measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Cream Soup: I used cream of mushroom, however you could also use cream of chicken.
- Green Beans: Canned is preferred, but I also included instructions for using fresh green beans.
- French Fried Onions: This classic topping can be found next to the green beans in the grocery store.
How to make the best green bean casserole recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the soup, milk, soy sauce, pepper, beans, and 2/3 cups of onions in a casserole bowl.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with the remaining onions and bake an additional five minutes or until the onions are golden.
Tips and FAQ’s:
This recipe is fairly straight forward. The instruction list is clear and simple, but there are a few tips I can suggest. Below are the most common questions for homemade green bean casserole.
How to make this recipe ahead:
This recipe can be made in advance through step 2. Cover the casserole dish and keep stored in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove the cover and follow the directions.
Using fresh green beans vs canned:
The beauty of this recipe is that you can easily substitute fresh green beans for canned. You will need to steam the fresh beans for 5 to 6 minutes, or until soft, before adding to the casserole. Be sure to trim before you steam.
What goes with green bean casserole?
What can be substituted for French fried onions?
No fried onions? No problem! You can substitute this crispy topping with regular potato chips!
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked green beans
- 1-1/3 cup French fried onions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the soup, milk, soy sauce, pepper, beans, and 2/3 cups of onions in a casserole bowl.
3. Bake for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbly.
4. Sprinkle with the remaining onions and bake an additional five minutes or until the onions are golden.
No crispy onions? Try plain potato chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 755mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g